AN AFTERNOON IN OLD MONTRÉAL

Wednesday, April 08, 2015

I was in Montréal over Easter weekend visiting family and decided to visit Old Montréal. I've never done any sightseeing in Montréal despite going every year. The first time I'd even been downtown was three years ago!


We didn't have a lot of time so the Old Montréal checklist was the Place d'Armes square, Notre Dame Basilica, Rue Saint Paul, and Maison Christian Faure.

Notre Dame Basilica (faces the Place d'Armes square)

Easily the highlight of my trip was this gothic revival style church. We got in free (I'm not sure how much admission is) because it was Easter Sunday and I was floored when I walked in. I'm big on architecture, which is probably why I'm obsessed with Europe, and I've never seen anything like this before. I would have spent an hour here if I could.

Notre Dame Basilica

Notre Dame Basilica

Notre Dame Basilica


Notre Dame Basilica 

Rue Saint Paul (just beyond this is a poutine place that's apparently amazing, we would have went there for lunch but my cousin didn't tell me about it until we'd already eaten.)

I wanted to see this street because the entire walk felt like I was in a different country. The cobblestone streets, the horse drawn carriage rides, the building with architecture from the 17th century all made it feel a little Parisian. Of course, I've never been to Paris so I don't really know, but I imagine that's what it's like. 

Maison Christian Faure

Maison Christian Faure

I wanted to buy everything but I ended up buying a coffee eclair (on the tray of the first photo). It was the biggest, fanciest, and most delicious eclair I've ever had. The place is really nice, but the manager was indifferent towards the customers and seemed annoyed with his staff. I wasn't really bothered by it though, he wasn't rude to anybody. 

Afterwards we just went to Starbucks then got on the metro and went back to my aunt's for Easter dinner, and the morning after I made the six hour drive home.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Contact Form