TRAVEL TIPS AND TRICKS

Wednesday, August 12, 2015


There is nothing worse than getting excited for a trip, packing and getting there only to realize you forgot something. I've had my fair share of these moments which is why I feel qualified to give you advice.

Triple Check...Everything

Trust me when I say you will not regret doing this. I can't tell you how many times I've double checked and then realized I forgot my camera charger, or my outlet adapters. One time I left an insane amount of liquids in my carry-on and had it confiscated...it was devastating. I've never been much of a list person so naming off all the things I have out loud helps me. 


Overpack 

For some reason people make fun of me for being an overpacker but I feel like it's an advantage not a flaw? I like being prepared for anything. I'll pack extra outfits just in case I'm not feelin' the one I planned, and I'll bring one of those rain ponchos just because. When I went to Cuba last year I only packed three pairs of shoes. One cute pair of sandals, one ultra comfy pair of flip flops, and heels. Well my one cute pair of sandals broke the third day I was there and it could have been no big deal if I'd packed another pair but I didn't! Thankfully the friend I went with and I are the same size and she let me borrow a pair. But do be aware of the weight limit, you don't want to pack a back up outfit for every day you're away, be overweight, and be forced to pay extra.


Pack Extra in Your Carry-On 

I learned this tip when I was flying to Uganda a few years ago. I was told I should pack extra clothes in my carry-on just in case they lost my luggage, so I did. I didn't lose my luggage, but someone in my group did and he went three days without fresh clothes in the African summer heat because he didn't listen. So, take it from him, pack. extra. clothes. Even if it's just leggings and a tank top. I went as far as putting my toothbrush, deodorant, and an extra pair of socks. You never know.

Keep Your Makeup Minimal

What I like to do when packing travel makeup is to bring your essentials. You don't need two different powder brushes, three blending brushes, and three primers. I like to bring one eyeshadow palette, and a couple lip options. I like changing up my lips when I'm away because it's less work, and requires less room in my bag. You don't want to be spending half an hour blending out your smokey eye to perfection when you can spend two minutes swiping on a red lip and head out the door. 

Skincare, Skincare, Skincare

If you have a long haul flight, bring makeup wipes in your carry-on. Even if you're not wearing makeup it's nice to wipe the oils off your face and follow up with a rich moisturizer and lip balm. Flying causes a lot of people's skin to dehydrate and you want to arrive with a smooth canvas to put your makeup on. Even while you're away you cannot forget to take your makeup off at night! Please don't sleep in it!  

Wear Pants With Pockets

This may sound silly but during the process of getting on a flight you need to show your passport and ticket constantly while trying to do something else at the same time. Your life will be easier if you have a pocket to shove your passport and ticket into to make going through security faster. I'm an anxious person so I get a little panicked if I have to hold stuff in my hands while take my shoes off, putting my electronics in different boxes quickly and without forgetting anything, with a long line behind me.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Contact Form